Download the Guidelines and Dosage Tables in Acrobat (PDF) format (opens in a new browser window/tab).
- Carefully review these guidelines and the appropriate dosage table. The tables below are only for healthy children. Those with kidney or liver impairment should consult their physician. If you have questions or are uncertain about the correct dose, contact your pharmacist or physician.
- Pediatric dosages are generally based upon your child’s weight and/or age. When possible, use weight to determine the appropriate dose.
- Carefully measure doses. Use the measuring device (such as the syringe, dropper, or plastic cup) that comes with the product. Do not use measuring devices from one product for another product. Syringes and droppers are more accurate than teaspoons. If necessary, you can obtain a med syringe from a drug store to measure milliliters (ml). If you must use a teaspoon, it should be a measuring spoon.
- Do not exceed recommended dosages unless instructed by your health care provider.
- Make sure your spouse or another caregiver has not already given your child medication.
- Carefully check product labels for active ingredients and the amount (concentrations) of ingredients. For some products (such as acetaminophen), manufacturers have changed the concentration of medicine in their products. If the concentration in the product you have differs from the concentrations listed in the tables below, do not use these tables to determine doses.
- Products (particularly cold and cough medicines) may contain multiple active ingredients, some of which may be the same as other products. Taking two or more products containing the same active ingredient(s) can result in an overdose.
- When possible, use products formulated for children. Products formulated for adults will typically contain much higher concentrations and may work differently (e.g., slow release tablets).
- Do not give medicine to reduce fever to a child under 2 months of age. Fever during the first 2 months of life needs to be documented in a medical setting and, if present, requires evaluation.
- Contact your child’s physician if symptoms become more severe, if new or unexpected symptoms develop, or if a fever or pain lasts more than 3 days.
- Store medicines out of reach of children to avoid accidental ingestion.
- The Poison Help hotline is 800-222-1222. Our office telephone is 775-329-2525. If your child is unconscious or has trouble breathing call 911.
|Acetaminophen (e.g., Tylenol)
Every 4-6 hours as needed, do not exceed 5 doses in 24 hours
|Child’s Weight||Children’s/Infant’s Liquid
(160mg per 5ml)
(80mg per tablet)
(160mg per tablet)
(325mg per tablet)
|6-11 LBS||1.25ml (1/4 tsp)||—||—||—|
|12-17 LBS||2.5ml (1/2 tsp)||—||—||—|
|18-23 LBS||3.75ml (3/4 tsp)||—||—||—|
|24-35 LBS||5ml (1 tsp)||2 tablets||—||—|
|36-47 LBS||7.5ml (1 1/2 tsp)||3 tablets||—||—|
|48-59 LBS||10ml (2 tsp)||4 tablets||2 tablets||1 tablet|
|60-71 LBS||12.5ml (2 1/2 tsp)||5 tablets||2 1/2 tablets||1 tablet|
|72-95 LBS||15ml (3 tsp)||6 tablets||3 tablets||1 1/2 tablets|
|96+ LBS||—||—||4 tablets||2 tablets|
|Ibuprofen (e.g., Advil, Motrin)
Do Not give to a child under 6 months of age
Every 6-8 hours as needed, do not exceed 4 doses in 24 hours
|Child’s Weight||Infant Drops
(40mg per 1ml)
(100mg per 5ml)
(100mg per tablet)
(200mg per tablet)
|11-21 LBS||1.25ml (1/4 tsp)||2.5ml (1/2 tsp)||1/2 tablet||—|
|22-32 LBS||1.875ml||5ml (1 tsp)||1 tablet||—|
|33-43 LBS||—||7.5ml (1 1/2 tsp)||1 1/2 tablets||—|
|44-54 LBS||—||10ml (2 tsp)||2 tablets||1 tablet|
|55-65 LBS||—||12.5ml (2 1/2 tsp)||2 1/2 tablets||—|
|66-87 LBS||—||15ml (3 tsp)||3 tablets||1 1/2 tablets|
|88+ LBS||—||20ml (4 tsp)||4 tablets||2 tablets|
|Diphenhydramine (e.g., Benadryl)
Do not give to a child under 6 months of age
Every 6 hours as needed, do not exceed 4 doses in 24 hours
|Child’s Weight||Children’s Allergy Liquid
(12.5mg per 5 ml)
|Children’s Allergy Tablets
(12.5mg per tablet)
(25mg per tablet)
|20-24 LBS||4ml (3/4 tsp)||—||—|
|25-37 LBS||5ml (1 tsp)||1 tablet||—|
|38-49 LBS||7.5ml (1 1/2 tsp)||1 1/2 tablets||—|
|50-99 LBS||10ml (2 tsp)||2 tablets||1 tablet|
|100+ LBS||—||4 tablets||2 tablets|